Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mmm. Mexican Chili

I found this recipe in People magazine.  I have to admit that I read People ALL of the time - I miss very few of them.  I keep thinking I should subscribe, in order to save money, but then I would have to admit that I am a regular reader.  Regardless, every week they feature a recipe from a celebrity.  I've been hanging onto this one for a while, waiting for a perfect day, which was today.
 The photo intrigued me enough to rip out the recipe from the magazine.  It is really more of a Mexican thick soup, not really a chili, at least not what I consider chili.  It has turkey sausage, onions, cilantro, hominy, butter nut squash, big oregano flakes, and green chili enchilada sauce.  Oh my gosh - it is so good.  Every time I walk by, I have to stop and get a small taste.  It is ready to eat now, but I let it cool down a bit and put it in a crock pot.  Even better?  I used the tools on WeightWatchers.com and it figured the points per serving.
So who is Aaron Sanchez?  I thought he looked familiar, but could not place him.  Good thing for Google.  He is a top Latin chef and owns two restaurants in New York.  He has also been in many cooking competitions.  Maybe if I ever get to New York,  I will go to one of his restaurants.  And... he is a nice looking guy, born in 1976, just one year after I graduated from high school.  Nah, that doesn't make me feel old, not at all.
Here's the recipe:
2 T. EVOO
1 lb. cooked turkey sausages cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp. dried Mexican Oregano
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 15-ounce can hominy, undrained
1 c. green chili enchilada sauce
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
2 c. cubed, peeled butternut squash

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add sausage.  Saute until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Add onion oregano and garlic.  Stir 2 minutes.
Add hominy, enchilada sauce, 1/2 c. cilantro, and squash.  Bring to a simmer.
Cover and reduce heat to med-low.  Simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, approximately 12 minutes.
Uncover and simmer to thicken, if desired.  
Transfer to bowl.  Serve.
Mmmmm!!  Very tasty.  Enjoy!

No comments: