Monday, March 4, 2013

Ya Ya Sister Weekend

I was so fortunate to be asked to a "Ya Ya Sister Weekend" with Diana and her four sisters!  Three live here in the Phoenix area and two came in from out of town.  Also in attendance were 2 friends, 2 nieces, and 1 cousin.  It was definitely a ladies' weekend!
We started off by meeting at a quilt store called Quilters Oasis.  The picture above is Carolyn buying a few items.  I found some fabric that matched a jelly roll I already have.  Yeah, I'm building up my stash.
This sign was hanging up at the store - I just liked what it said and needed to take a photo.
This is a sample of chalkboard fabric.  Weird, huh?  I bought a small roll of it when we went to California.  I am hoping to use it in card making.
After the quilt outing, we went back to Jean Ann's and started making lunch.  There were definitely a lot of cooks in the kitchen and it was fun to watch them all work together.
My friend, Diana, was in charge of making a bruschetta.  It was soooooo good!  I am definitely going to try making them at home.  I believe it was the best I have ever had.
Since it was a ladies' weekend, there were many types of teas to choose from.  One I had not seen before was a Red Velvet Tea.  My favorite was the Mango Ceylon.
The table is set and we are ready to eat:  bruschetta, lettuce salad with mini shrimp, avocado, tomatoes and thousand island dressing.  We also had tomato soup (it was so yummy) and fruit kabobs.  Everything was really good.
 After lunch, I set up card kits for those who wanted to participate.  The girls got to laughing so hard - they are actually throwing their heads back laughing so hard!
 Here they are, getting down to business.
After cards, Caroline brought directions and did a demonstration on how to make pillow cases.  They were so very slick.  The inside seam was "hidden" so that it was nice and neat.  This would be great for making a travel pillow. Several made their own pillow cases.
It was a very fun day!  A lot of activity, hustle and bustle.  It really reminded me of when my own family gets together.  There are always a multitude of conversations going on at the same time and someone is always preparing food for the next meal.
You noticed the hats that some are wearing?  They do this in remembrance of their mother.  These hats once belonged to their mother and so they wear the hats and some of her necklaces in remembrance of her.  What a wonderful, fun gesture, and a fun weekend to spend with "sisters."

No comments: