Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Long Arm Quilting Class

This weekend I was fortunate enough to take a long arm quilting class at 35th Avenue Sew 'n Vac.  They have a great selection of quilting machines, patterns, notions, fabrics, and kits.  I took the class with Diana and her sister, Jean Ann.  We all had a wonderful time and learned some new free-hand stitches.
Our instructor, Vicki, did such a great job of showing us ten different stitches and then having us each practice them on the big quilter.   I was only able to take one picture because I was busy paying attention to what was being said.
After class, Janie (another sister), met us toward the end of class and then we all went to lunch at Pei Wei.  It is always nice to spend time with them - they make me laugh.
I went home and did a little bit of sewing.  I have been wanting to make Sophie and Jack pillow cases to use in their kennels.  I thought it would be a good way to get rid of the old pillows I no longer want.  Both of them enjoy laying on pillows - if given the chance.  So I made Sophie a cover.  I'll do Jack's another night.  It is so darn cute.

2 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Aw, I love that doggy bone fabric, Jean. It's so cool that you got to take a class like that! Did you practice on one of your own quilts or was there just a practice piece for you to stitch on? And now I'm wondering if there are places you can go to rent these machines/use them there/how-do-I-get-my-hands-on-one. Haha. So many questions bouncing around in my head now! ;o)

tainted with a positive view said...

I know what you mean. I want to BUY one, but obviously can't justify it. I don't think you can rent them because they can be complicated but you can take your quilt to an individual and they will quilt it. It was fun but a BIG machine. We practiced on just fabric - probably what they have set up for store demonstrations. It was fun, though.