Sunday, August 19, 2012

A lot of fun on Friday

My friend, Adriana, called me Friday morning and asked me to "play hooky" with her over my lunch hour.  Technically, it wasn't playing hooky because I take a lunch everyday.  She wanted to go check out Sweet Salvage, which is a vintage store that is only open 4 days a month.  She picked me up, we pulled up and it was crazy... and hot.  It was packed with people and parking was a premium.
 Here's a photo of one of the booths...
It is all really cool, "old" stuff - or stuff made to look old, some retro furniture.  We met Nicole there - she, of course, did not want to miss out.  The line was very long, so we walked through but none of us bought anything.  On the way back to the office, Adriana and I stopped at Melrose Vintage, another vintage shop but it also contains scrapbooking/paper craft supplies.  
Here are a few photos of Melrose items...
 The photo below is one end of the scrapbooking store...


As we were driving there, I noticed another place called Rust and Roses.  I had never been there, but definitely wanted to stop in, so, we did.
 This place was fun and actually put me in the mood for my upcoming trip.  And it was not nearly as crowded.  Nicole and I are going back to Minnesota to attend Junk Bonanza this year.  It is very much like these stores, only much, much bigger.  They hold Junk Bonanza at a fair grounds in Shakopee, MN.  I think the reason I love this kind of vendor is that it gives me a chance to take a stroll down memory lane.  
 Adriana has her eye on this piece.  It is an old revolving parts bin.  I want it, too.  It would be a great place to put all of my rubber stamp sets.  Darn it!  I just don't have a place for it.  I can't imagine how heavy it must be.
 This is an old tape measure - one you wind up by hand.  My dad used to have one.  Probably still does.
 More bins and trunks.
 It is hard to see in this picture, but they draped a filmstrip over a paper tree.  
I am thinking film strip would be cool on a Christmas tree.
 I couldn't pass up the alligator head.  And I absolutely LOVE small campers.  
 This one was definitely unique.  This is the inside... just a little too ornate for me.
It was a fun hour and a half.  I am truly looking forward to going to Minnesota and walking through Junk Bonanza.  I can't decide whether to take a larger suitcase so I have room to bring stuff home, or to take a small one, so I am limited on what I bring home.

No comments: