Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kumquat Preserves

Yep, that's what I said.  Kumquat preserves.  Geri, one of my friends at work, gave me a small bag of this wonderfully unique fruit.  If you are not familiar with kumquats, they are small citrus fruits that are extremely sour on the inside and sweet on the outside (the peeling).  So the idea is to eat it all at one time, the entire fruit.
 I sliced them into small thin slices so that I was able to take out the seeds at the same time.  
I started off with 26 kumquats.
I also used the juice of one-half grapefruit, along with some blended pineapple.
 I added sugar, water, and Pectin and then brought it to a boil.
 They have such a pretty color.
The ultimate goal?  
To share the kumquat preserves (and fresh baked biscuits) with my co-workers.
Once I make another batch, and get the proportions right, I will share the recipe.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I've never had a kumquat -- can you believe it? I remember when I was a kid we laughed at the word. It sounded so funny on our tongues: kumquat.