Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Yep, I had a birthday...

I had a birthday in March and had a lot of fun celebrating...
 That's me holding the Lake Bled Creme Cake made by my friend, Pat.  
It was really, really good and extremely close to the dessert I had in Lake Bled, Slovenia last fall.
She did a marvelous job.
She did say, however, that it was so putzy she most likely would never make it again.
 People at work always bring goodies to share on birthdays.  We never lack for food.
My birthday also happens to be my boss' birthday.  
(I've told him it was fate, but I am not sure he appreciates the humor.)
So I bake something and bring it in to share.
This year I made what I call "Esther's Easy Dessert" because I got the recipe from my friend, Esther.  
I have doubled this recipe, but generally it is baked in an 8 x 8 pan. 
The recipe is my normal recipe for the 8 x 8 pan.  
The pictures are of the doubled recipe - don't be confused by that. 
Step 1:  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt 1 stick margarine in the pan (in the oven) while the oven is preheating.
Yep, that is melted butter in the top photo.  BUDDA, lots of budda!
 Step 2:  While the butter is melting in the oven, mix the following items:
1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, pinch of salt, 1 tsp. baking powder, and 2/3 c. milk.  
It makes a thin batter.
Step 3:  Pour the batter in the pan over the butter.  DO NOT MIX.
Step 4:  Add fruit.  I always use a can of peaches (15-16 oz.), juice and all.  
Don't drain the juice.  Just pour the entire can over the batter.  Again, DO NOT MIX TOGETHER.
 This time I also added a pint of fresh blueberries.
Below:  This is what it looks like before it is baked.
 Step 5:  Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes, until lightly browned.
 Mmmmm.  It is really good.  The blueberries added a tartness that was really good right up next to the sweetness of the "cobbler."
I hope you try it - I know you'll like it!

For dinner, we always go to either Joe's BBQ or Liberty Market. 
A little secret - you get to eat free on your birthday.  So... it's tradition.
I had invited a few friends, but my daughter, Kate, surprised me by inviting Sondra and her two little guys - Isaac (the baby) and Isaiah (the almost 2-year-old).
 Isaac slept through my birthday dinner.  :)
 Isaiah, on the other hand, entertained all of us at the table.
Let me tell you, he is good on the IPhone, faster than most.
 Here's the dinner party.
I am so appreciative of having such great friends and wonderful daughters.  
Thanks to Pat, Gretchen, Adriana, Isaiah, Sondra, MaryAnna, Kate, and Chelsea for 
making my evening a memorable one.
The only one missing was Kimberly who lives back east now.
 Happy Birthday to me!

2 comments:

Melody said...

My birthday is in March, too and I also had dinner at Joe's Barbeque. I also had my free breakfast at Denney's. Someone told me you can eat at all three of their restaurants on your birthday (the Joe's barbeque restaurants.) Happy Birthday, Jean.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Happy (late) birthday, Jean! Oh my goodness - your dessert looks/sounds amazing! I'm going to pin it and make that for sure. Thanks for sharing the recipe!