Monday, May 19, 2014

Another sewing project

One of Kate's friends, Jackie, is expecting a baby in just about 7 weeks.  I helped Jackie, just a tad, with some things surrounding her wedding a few years ago, so she is one who has become near and dear to my heart.  In preparation of her baby shower, I decided to make her a couple of receiving blankets.  I started off by buying coordinating flannel.  This first picture is of the back sides of two of the fabrics.
I sewed them, right sides together, except for about a six-inch strip.  I then turned them inside out and stitched 1/4" around the edges.
After that I decided to quilt/sew straight lines so the blankets would be more like a quilt.  I used the pencil below to mark the straight lines.  
You can see the light line on the fabric.  I sewed over that.  The pencil has the consistency of almost like a crayon.  To remove it, you simply iron over the lines and they magically disappear.  No joke.  It worked beautifully.  This is one of the items I picked up at the quilt show in January.  I have to say I loved it and it made my life a little easier.
One quilt was a jungle print with a polka dot back side.  The other is what I would call "baby words" with a pastel animal print on the other side.  Both of them turned out nicely.
I rolled them up and wrapped each in tissue paper before placing them in the gift bag.  
It probably took me about 1.5 hours for each one.  Not too bad.  I made these for my daughters when they were babies and they were my favorite receiving blankets.  Hopefully, Jackie will like them as well.

No comments: